Hacktoberfest: First Pull Request - Tower of Hanoi

This post describes the journey of Hackoberfest which encourages new people to get involved in the open-source community. I always want to participate in the open-source community but did not know how to do it. So, it was really good opportunity for me to start my first open-source contribution.

I started finding the project I can work on. There are thousands of projects on the lists but it was hard to find the properly difficult issue I can handle on. Finally, I found an issue to work on and the issue I found for the first pull request of the Hackoberfest is the following: https://github.com/ahampriyanshu/algo_ds_101/issues/697

This issue is an algorithm for the Tower of Hanoi which is a mathematical game or puzzle. It consists of three rods and some disks of different sizes, which can slide onto any rod. I asked to assign me to this issue in C# and got confirmed. 

Firstly, I searched for the algorithm of the Tower of Hanoi. I got I can create a recursive function to solve this task. Secondly, I googled the C# syntax to create functions and handle input or output. As I already have some knowledge about the C# while I learn ASP.NET, I could learn fast. The final code I wrote for this task is the image below.


I asked to enter the number of disks for the Tower of Hanoi and the function named TowerOfHanoi is the recursive function to describe the motion of the disk. It took around 1 day to be checked and get merged my code into the project but eventually, my code was merged.

I've learned a lot working on this first Hacktoberfest pull request. It was the first time communicating with a stranger for open-source collaboration. I got how to communicate, how to push my commit, and how my pull request will be handled on GitHub. It was a really good experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lab 8: Automated Testing and Continuous Integration

Open Source Project: Lab2 (Pull Request)

Project: Final