Hacktoberfest: Second Pull Request - wanikani-notifier

 This post describes the journey of the second pull request for Hacktoberfest which encourages new people to get involved in the open-source community. The post for the first pull request for Hacktoberfest is the following: https://hyunjijanelee.blogspot.com/2020/10/hacktoberfest-first-pull-request-tower.html

In this time, I have struggled to find an issue to work on. Most of the issues I would like to work on are already taken to another person and other issues have some problems on the project so I cannot run it properly. I kept finding a proper project and found one project named wanikani-notifier. The link for the wanikani-notifier is the following: https://github.com/upsetdog/wanikani-notifier

When I found an issue with this project, I cloned the project to check whether I can run this project. At that time, I found it has another issue to make it better. On this project, there is no 'package-lock.json' file so users need to install modules checking what modules are needed for this project. It would be much better if this project has package-lock.json file so users can simply install modules when they enter 'npm install'. Therefore, I filed an issue to ask whether I can do this task. The link for the issue is the following: https://github.com/upsetdog/wanikani-notifier/issues/9. The owner of this project assigned me to this task so I started working on it.

I've installed modules to create package-lock.json file. Also, I've updated README.md file so users can follow the step to build this project. The first code below is the step before and the second one is the step I've updated.

- The previous installation process

Clone the repository, install the required packages, and run node index.js it'll run until you cancel it. replace "YOUR TOKEN HERE" with your wanikani api v2 token, in the config.json file

- The updated installation process

1. Clone the repository
2. Install the required packages entering 'npm install'
3. Replace "YOUR TOKEN HERE" in the config.json file with your wanikani  api v2 token
4. Run node index.js it'll run until you cancel it

I've added my changes and created a pull request for this issue. Currently, I am waiting for reviewing. The link to my pull request is the following: https://github.com/upsetdog/wanikani-notifier/pull/10

Finding an issue to work on takes most of the time for this pull request. I've learned it would be better to find an issue as fast as possible. Also, I realized I had so much fun finding another issue has not been filed yet and fixing the issue. It was a really good practice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lab 8: Automated Testing and Continuous Integration

Open Source Project: Lab2 (Pull Request)

Project: Final