Release 4.0 - Part 3: Release

In this post, I am going to describe the journey of the release 4.0. Release 4.0 is the 3 weeks project. In the first week, I chose the project to work on. As the issue I chose required knowledge I do not have any idea (Gatsby and Nextjs), I need to learn these. In the second week, I learned the Gatsby and Nextjs to read the document on the Next official website. Also, I checked the pull request other people already created for the project. And this week, I started writing codes to resolve the issue.


It was hard to begin to migrate the pages from Gatsby to the Nextjs. I needed to google a lot to find the proper way to migrate the code for the project. The components I was assigned are Error page, SEO, and SearchHelp components. The SEO component is relatively easy because the Next official website indicated how to do it most. However, the Error page is the most difficult part for me. When I googled how to make the Nextjs Errorpage, most people recommend to use the JavaScript extension type. However, the project has the limitation of the file extension for Gatsby or the Nextjs! The Nextjs' file extension should be ts or tsx file, not using js. I was confused about how should I do it. When I asked this to the Telescope community member, he kindly asked to have a meeting to talk about handling the issue and tell me the way how to create an Error page using tsx file! It was a great experience. I created files for issues and pushed the commits to each branch. I am waiting for the review and feedback from the community. As some of the components need other components to work properly (for example, the SEO component needs 'use-site-metadata' component inside the 'hook' folder to check whether it works properly or not), it's supposed to take some time to get the feedbacks for the pull request I created.


The previous posts for this release are the following:


The issues I chose are the following:


The pull requests I created are the following:


The whole of this semester's experience is unforgettable for me. All the experience like contributing to the open-source community, learning how to use git, learning how to communicate with other people on GitHub, and learning how to use GitHub more professional are precious. I got lots of confidence I can contribute to the community using my skill and I can learn fast to contribute to the community. I would like to continue contributing and I will. This semester is awesome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lab 8: Automated Testing and Continuous Integration

Open Source Project: Lab2 (Pull Request)

Release 0.3: External Project (Hasura GraphQL Engine)